The Miller House is one of the last remaining 18th-century buildings in White Plains, New York, and it served as an essential landmark for what became known as The Battle Of White Plains. Widow Ann Fisher Miller’s home was where she hosted conversations that helped lead up to America’s freedom. The house also provided hospitality when army recruiters came calling on behalf of soldiers who wanted their slice of history made by fighting alongside others standing against tyranny.
Located at 140 Virginia Rd, White Plains, NY 10603, the Miller House, the 18th-century farmhouse in White Plains, is one of the last remaining buildings from that time. As an important landmark during The Battle of The White Plains (1776), it became home to Ann Fisher after her husband died on duty as part of Westchester Militiaman Elijah Miller’s unit fought against British forces loyal towards England.
The colonial farmhouse is a critical cultural feature in the North White Plains/North Castle area, and it has become one of many symbols that represent our community. It’s owned by Westchester County but offers public programs for everyone to enjoy.
The Miller House is a historical landmark that has been around for more than two centuries. The first part of the building was built in 1738. Elijah later made renovations between 1800-1850, which gave it its shapely appearance.
This 18th-century house in White Plains is not only one of the few remaining structures from that era, but it’s also an excellent example of colonial vernacular architecture. While there are plenty like it out Westchester county where farms were more common than townships with built-up areas around them; nonetheless this home exhibits features that would have been popular among residents back then. The one-and-a-half-story historic home has an inviting porch that extends the entire length of its front and two interior chimneys on either side.
In the 1850s, the house became an official shrine to George Washington. By 1917 after decades of intermittent occupation, Westchester County purchased this historic home that once proudly stood on its original property–the site now houses one significant symbol: our nation’s unity through sacrifice.
The museum opened to the public in 2018 as a Westchester County Department of Parks, Recreation, and Conservation attraction with assistance from The Daughters Of American Revolution. Due to financial constraints, this historical site would fall into disuse.
On September 29, 1976, the Miller House was added to America’s list of historic places. The home has been recognized for its architectural significance and is one-of-a-kind in both architecture and age, with many other homes dating back only 150 years ago.
In 2017, it was announced that the Friends of The Miller House had committed $2 million towards renovating this historic house for future use.
White Plains Performing Arts Center
House Painter Today of White Plains